Pictures of aunt Lillian Herman mayor of Hannibal

From the memory of my aunt Lynn (bottom row in yellow shirt)

I think this picture was taken during Tom Sawyer Days. If I recall, there was a checker game between the mayor of Hannibal (Aunt Lil) and maybe the president of the Chamber of Commerce. I am not sure if that was Aunt Lil's opponent or maybe some county official. Anyway, I think the man standing next to Aunt Lil is a friend of hers that coached her on how to win the checker game. I do not know the younger person standing to the left of the older gentleman. The woman in the back between Aunt Lil and the man (with dark hair, not wearing a hat) is Marge Deline. When Aunt Lil ran for mayor, she resigned as City Clerk of Hannibal. Marge Deline was chosen as the new City Clerk. The tall woman to Aunt Lil's right wearing the straw hat is June Morgan. June was the City Collector for many years. I think Aunt Lil may have originally hired June to work in the City Clerk's office and then June eventually moved to the City Collector's office. June was a very close friend to Aunt Lil. I think the blond-haired girl with the braided pig tails worked for June, but I am not sure of that. I think her name was Ann and she was in Nancy's grade in school. Nancy might be able to tell you her name. Loretta is standing front of Ann. The person kneeling in front of Loretta is named Sara Deason. She worked for June in the City Collector's office for many years. She was another long time friend of Aunt Lil's. I don't remember the younger woman who is kneeling next to Sara. I have no recollection of her what-so-ever. The woman in the sleeveless red shirt on Loretta's right is Marian Duncan. Marian was the deputy City Clerk and she worked for Marge Deline. The woman to the right of Marian (wearing the brown checkered top) is Pat Powell. She was Aunt Lil's secretary when Aunt Lil was mayor. I have no idea who the boy with the trumpet is. I'm guessing that picture was taken in the summer of 1980 or 1981, but I am not sure.
 










Comments

  1. I am writing a book about Hannibal; Hannibal: A Walk Through History. I was actually born at St. Elizabeth's but am from Vandalia, MO. I'm a tour guide by trade but started writing during the pandemic. I would love to have some photos of your aunt for the book. Steve Chou, a local historian, recommended her for my Women of Hannibal path and I have loved reading your block, the story in The Washington Post about her on July 4, 1982 Let me know if you have any photos you can share. And I'm trying to confirm, but I believe she has been the ONLY mayor too? My email for the book is: deahooverauthor@gmail.com and my number is 314-933-zero-two-eight-nine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More about aunt Lillian Herman

Aunt Lillian Herman as Mayor and City Clerk